How to reach the Amalfi Coast from Naples? It’s quite easy, as you can choose among different options, either moving by car or by public transportation.
Here it is the full guide to reach the Amalfi Coast moving from Naples.
Before reading: are you sure your hotel doesn’t offer a transfer?
There is not a big distance between Capodichino Airport and the Amalfi Coast.
The best hotels of Positano, Amalfi, Maiori, Minori and Ravello usually offer to their guests a shuttle service, taking you from the departure area of the airport directly to the hotel.
Usually you will have to pay an extra: remember to ask the price for the service to the hotel before you require the service.
If you arrive by plane
In case you are arriving by plane, you will land at Naples International Airport Capodichino.
It’s not far from the center of the city, even though it may be not necessary to reach the city in order to move to the Amalfi Coast.
From here you will either rent a car, or reach Piazza Garibaldi by taxi or bus. If you are not going to rent a car, you ca
Rent a car from Capodichino Airport
Driving to the Amalfi Coasts surely has its advantages:
- the route is very panoramic
- you will have the freedom to move around different towns along the Coast without having to rely on public transportation
- it’s cheaper, especially if you are travelling a crowded group
…and its disadvanteges:
- traffic can be a problem, especially during the high-season
- parking, if not offered for free by the hotel, can be expensive
- moving by car between the town poses always the same problem: parking; even if your hotel offers it, you will have to pay when you move outside the town
Car remains anyway one of the most popular options for people who want to reach Amalfi, even from Naples.
How to rent a car
You will find Car Rentals at the departure area of Capodichino Airport. Our advice is to make a booking in advance, using the internet.
You will save a lot of money this way and also have a wider choice of vehicles.
Don’t forget that:
- you will need to show a valid B Driving License or an equivalent document
- you will need to block a deposit on your Credit Card. Debit cards are not accepted for this kind of operation
- with standard rental contracts you will have to choose 1 driver. If you plan to have other drivers (members of the family, friends and such) you will have to add them to the form given by the rental company
- standard insurance doesn’t cover the damages you will cause to your own vehicle. It may be a good idea to pay something more to get additional coverage
As for the car rental company, our advice is to choose from one of those operating directly within the airport. They are accountable companies and able to offer you better prices, especially if you booked online.
Reach the Amalfi Coast from Naples by Car
All you have to do is to reach Autostrada A3 and get out at Vietri Sul Mare exit.
It’s the southernmost town of the Costiera Amalfitana, and from there you will be able to drive back north, up to Positano.
The road is very panoramic and even if usually congested with traffic during summer, it will be one of the nicest road trip of your life!
Reach Costiera Amalfitana by Train
You can’t reach the Costiera Amalfitana by train from Naples.
At most you will be able to reach Sorrento, and from there take a bus to reach Positano, Amalfi and the other towns like Maiori, Minori and Ravello.
For the Napoli-Sorrento route you will have to get on the Circumvesuviana, an old and cheap local train.
The train gets kind of crowded during summer: if you are looking for a very comfortable trip, you should probably be looking at some other option.
Last stop in Sorrento, and from there you will have to reach your final destination by bus.
The alternative is reaching Salerno by Train, and then from there:
- reach Amalfi by ferry: there is a ferryboat leaving from Piazza della Concordia at 08:40, 09:40, 10:40, 11:40, 14:10, 15:30, 8–12€ per person
- reach Positano by ferry: the ferryboat leaves from Piazza della Concordia: same timing as the one to Amalfi; 08:40, 09:40, 10:40, 11:40, 14:10, 15:30, 12€ per person
- reach the towns along the Coast by bus. Bus will be leaving from Salerno Train Station every 30 minutes.
The Salerno route is much faster than the Napoli-Salerno one, so make your choice accordingly.
Reach Costiera Amalfitana by bus
There are buses leaving at 08:05, 10:00, 14:30, 16:30, 17:30 and reaching Furore, Conca dei Marini, Amalfi.
It’s quite a long trip though (2h40m), which can become even longer during the high-season, when the roads between Naples and Amalfi get very crowded with tourists.
It can be a good option for vacation on budget, as the tickets are extremely cheap. The trip can become quite fun too: the road is very panoramic and offers surely something to spend the 2h40m required to reach Amalfi.
If your final destination is not Amalfi, you will be able to move to your final destination by the main square of Amalfi, where you will be able to find buses to Positano, Minori, Maiori and Ravello.
You can also reach Positano from Naples by fast ferry. You will have to reach Molo Beverello(approximately 15 minutes of taxi from the central station) and then get your ticket right before getting on the ferry.
Ferries to Positano are leaving at 08:50, 09:15, 10:00, 10:55, 12:00, 15:30, 16:30. As in summer the ferries get quite crowded, it would better to get your ticket one or two days in advance.
The service is sometimes suspended even for long periods and is by far the most unreliable among the ones we described in our guide.
Our advice is to get organised in some other ways, preferring the Napoli-Salerno route by public transportation or the car rental option.